Saturday, February 7, 2009

Environmental Savy


After searching the web for some interesting environmental websites, I found one whos purpose was especially important in my life, not that the other environmental websites arent important. The site: http://www.glu.org/, which is called Great Lakes United/ Union St. Laurent Grand Lacs (French) is an international coaltion from Canada, US and some First Nation Tribes who are dedicated to preserving the Great Lakes and the St. Laurence River. The Great Lakes and the River are north eastern bodies of water which are intertwined with Canada in addition to the US. Most of these waters are both US and Canadian waters, with international lines somewhere along the middle based on postions of the waters.

I chose this website because i go to a camp on the St. Lawrence River, also called Thousand Islands within limits, and this place is amazing. The landscaping all around is absolutely breathtaking. It is a huge river cut in half by the Canadian and US international line with thousands, no pun intended, of islands scattered everywhere you turn. You are allowed to cross this line and every year we go to Canada via a town called Ganonaque. I thinkwe do it semi-illegally but i wont get into that. Its tradition and I will remember doing this my entire life.

Over the years, we were told stories of ways that the river conservation is going downhill, whether due to foreign species like gobies invading the habitat and destroying the precious ecosystem, or just leaks of chemical contaminants. All of which is covered through the website. The goal as I stated earlier, is to preserve and restore this area, the group, Great Lakes United also, has the power to develop and promote policies protecting the species and people of the region.

I believe that these goals are effectively communicated and pursued through both in depth articles about the problems associated with certain aspects and possible solutions for them, and action plans for these problems. The website also informs you of past regulations of the government and has so much more infromation that the public could read to be informed of what is going on with the Great Lakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment